I thought that our first class was very interesting. I was introduced to a lot of new topics that I had never heard of before. I never knew about the policy cycle that policies go through, and how long it takes for policies to go into effect. Before coming to this class, I thought that a policy was just a policy, and didn't realize that there were so many different types, such as distributive and regulatory. Reading Urban Policy Reconsidered really helped me to understand policy better, and how every little thing can have a profound effect on a city. I really liked how the author described people and place as being constitutive of each other to describe how people are affected by their surroundings, and vice-versa. People's attitudes, beliefs, and social status are affected by their communities, and they in turn affect the community themselves. This led to the question of how cities decide how to implement policy, and whether the individuals or the community are what needs to be changed. The policy approach that we talked about in class that really resonated with me was communitarian vs individalism because I was able to agree with both sides' views. This topic really made me think about what view I most closely fit with. I think that shared resources are a good thing, which fits with the communitarian approach, but I also feel that it would be difficult because it would be impossible to decide what's best for everyone. I agree with the individualism approach that free will is important, but I am not so sure that the private sphere should always be more important than the public sphere, so I feel that I probably lie somewhere in the middle between these views. I think that I am going to learn a lot from this class, and knowledge about public and urban policies will be a great benefit to me in my career and my life.
Allison, I hope you get to work for Disney. Timeless! Disney has help make America in a lot of ways as well! We are supposed to subscribe to a few blogs, so here I am. I like your colors, and admittance of not knowing much about policy. I never knew anything about politics, policy, government, etc until I really started being affected in my personal life by things such as these. I then started going on the path of Political Science, until changing my major to Public Policy and Administration. Everything is tied into politics unfortunately. And as our readings suggest, it is who is in the seats of voted in leadership that hold the power and decision making. I agree with what you said about poverty not always what brings a city down, I feel it is just about what has died in that city that made it grow in the first place. People come here for the weather, and our metropolitan area thrives on real estate, natural resources, and location near a major river. When those things start to dry up or we get overcrowded, jobs are lost, and people start looking elsewhere. Good luck!
ReplyDelete